Looking for a Caribbean SUP Vacation or Getaways? Utila is a great option!
With a low-key vibe, turquoise warm waters, the safe, friendly and English speaking Caribbean island of Utila is a great spot to base your Stand up Paddleboard (SUP) vacation!
Utila has a nice range of beachfront accomadations to base your trip out of. To plan your get-away, you can either:
a) Rent your your own house and let Paddle Utila assist you as a SUP guide and marine naturalist for snorkeling; plus get 24 hour use of the boards, OR
b) check out our No-Worries Cays Getaway below! Our next trip is Jan 19-26!
Option A: Suggested Houses for Renting your own:
For the best houses to base a Kayaking or Stand up Paddleboard Vacation, we suggest looking at:
The Blue Bayou area, which is still road accessible to town:
- The Round House: Located in Blue Bayou 2 bedroom- Rents from $145 usd per night, $920 usd per week
- Oyster Lagoon Beach House: Just behind Round House, by the same owners. 2 bedroom, clean and spacious and a little more budget oriented. $780 usd per week.
- Blue Bayou Beach House: 1 bedroom, rustic oceanfront bungalow from $450 per week; great monthly rates. Located just next to “The Round House” above.
Along the South Shore and the Cays, which is boat access from town:
Both Blue Bayou and The South Shore areas are on the protected leeward side, meaning calmer waters more suitable for kayaking and stand up paddleboarding.
There are also some fantastic houses on the Windward side- like on the old airport and in the Tradewinds/Paradise Cove Area, but typically these areas receive more wind- which is really nice for cooling down, but may not let you paddle daily out front…talk to us if you have questions.
How About Your Own Private Island?
- Little Cay or Sandy Cay- Private Islands in the Cays – rent from $130 usd per night. Also see our All-inclusive Cays Getaway for just $1800 usd total per the week for 2 pp- includes the Cay, food, live-in guide, boards and more.
SUP Pricing: $120 usd per day! Thats if you rent a house and want a ”live in” Private Guide Service- (SUP Guide / Marine Naturalist / Kitchen Prep, 2 SUP boards, paddles + guide board and paddle available) Add additional board for $40 usd per day.
Option B: No Worries Get-away! Let Paddle Utila Do the Planning
Caribbean SUP Get-Away Vacation based on your own private island!
~Private Stand up Paddleboarding and Snorkeling Retreat on the Caribbean Reefs! ~
This trip is designed as a 5 night/4day (plus arrival and departure day) getaway on a private island in the Utila Cays. We can make it shorter if you are just looking for a few day get-away. This trip will combine Stand Up Paddleboarding, Snorkeling, Marine Ecology, and Yoga. To see a similar trip we did with kayaks last year, see our extended kayaking trips link
Note: We can tailor this trip to YOU. If you want to extend it to a full week, or shorten to just a few day, no problem. If you are on a strict budget, we can do this with some simpler hotel rooms in the Cays as well.
The island of Utila is often referred to as “what the Caribbean used to be. This trip offers you beautiful paddling, warm turquoise waters and a marine naturalist joining you as you explore the coral reef.
Based on Little Cay or Sandy Cay, private islands in the Utila Cays, our front yard is literally the coral reef. If you are new to snorkeling or SUPping, we can teach you right in front- For more advanced snorkelers, there are excellent opportunities to hone your free diving skills and marine ecology knowledge
This trip is suitable for all levels, including beginners to either Stand up Paddleboarding or Snorkeling. Andi is a patient, personable teacher who will not only get you up and going on your stand up paddleboard, but work with you on refining techniques and efficiently. If you are new to snorkeling, we’ll walk through all the basics ensuring you are totally comfortable as we introduce you to this amazing new world.
Stand up Paddleboarding (SUP), Snorkeling, Beaching, Reading, Cocktail-ing, Hammocking, Chillin’, Siesta-ing, Yoga, Exploring the nearby fishing village. This trip is flexible- we will have planned activities every day, but you can do as much or as little as you want. So if you want to alter the schedule so we have a sunrise paddle, no problem!
Additional options that we can arrange for you and will pass on the fee direct are SCUBA diving, fishing charters, and sit on top kayak rentals.
Sample Daily Schedule
Below is a sample schedule- subject to change as YOU desire.
- 6:30 am: Morning Yoga on the dock
- 8:00 am: Breakfast*
- 9:00-11:30 – SUP or Snorkel with marine naturalist
- 12:30-2pm: Lunch, beach, siesta
- 2-4pm- Snorkel or SUP
- 4:30-6:30: Sunset time, personal time, Happy Hour
- 7:00 –Dinner at the island, (Vegetarian options available)
- We also have special trips such as paddling to the water access restaurant, The Purple Pelican or paddling over to the nearby Pigeon Cays- which are actually 2 islands that make aup a densely populated fishing village. Its perfect for a nice stroll, enjoying some ice cream and talking to the locals. You can also do a morning beach walk (short- its a small island!), followed by Stand up paddleboarding, snorkeling, and then lunch and siesta. The Choice is yours!
*Note: if you want to shop and prepare your own meals, take off $30 usd per person per day.
$900 usd pp, based on double occupancy and private bath for 5 nights and 4 full days of fun (plus arrival and departure days. Flights are not included.
- Notes for our budget friends:
-if you want to bring your own food and cook your own meals, take $30 usd off per person for 3.5 days (reduce your total by $105 usd)
-if you want to stay at a less expensive hotel in town on your final night, take off $20 usd pp (we’ll still get you a decent spot!)
-you can also organize everything on your own and just bring us out to the Cay (we can camp or stay in extra room) and bring 2 boards plus our own for $100 per day total (not per person). Also available as a marine naturalist and prep cook as part of fee (see option A above)
What is included:
- Transfers from Utila Island to the Cays via powerboat
- Stand up paddleboards, paddles, leashes, PFDs
- Four nights stay at Little Cay or Sandy Cay
- 1 night stay at a nice hotel on final night in town
- Breakfasts, lunches, snacks, dinners in the house; welcome dinner out and farewell dinner out, 1 lunch out (Guide will cook/prep most of meals but will ask for group help and participation!)
- Purified water and ice, including delivery
- Yoga at least once a day
- Daily SUP Instruction and Tours (weather permitting)
- Daily Marine Naturalist guided snorkels (weather permitting)
- Marine Life Presentations (Fish, Invertebrates, Coral Reef Ecology)
- Beach towels & Chairs
- Logistics and planning
- Personal, private guide
What is Not Included
Alcohol (though you can buy your own and bring to the Cay), flights, snorkel gear (though we have some, and if it fits you, you can use it no charge).
Reservations & Flights:
- Contact us before booking flights.
- Flights to Utila from San Pedro Sula leave only on Mon, Wed, Frida, Sat at 2pm, and return only on Tues, Thurs, Saturday early in the morning. Cost is about $125 usd pp.
- Flights to Utila from Roatan can be organized daily, for about $150 usd pp.
Booking A Trip
To hold your spot, we just need a non-refundable $400 deposit to hold your place on the getaway. Refundable in full with 60 days notice before arrival.
Little Cay and Sandy Cay are fabulous options. The entire island is your private retreat. Little Cay has 3 bedrooms (in addition to the guide bedroom) and Sandy Cay has 1 bedroom (in addition to the guide bedroom). Snorkeling is available directly out front. Homes are simply fully furnished. Bedrooms have a ceiling fan, there is running, and limited electricity is via solar and generator.